January 15, 2018 § Leave a comment
December 29, 2017 § Leave a comment
I’m back from the land of other social media to leave a Stash Update for posterity. Ideally, I’m going to try to be back here more frequently, but, we’ll see.
Fiber Total: 66.8 oz / 4.175 lbs
L to R: Old, miscellaneous merino and alpaca braids that I realized I didn’t enjoy spinning as much. The rest is the long-awaited Hello Yarn Fiber Club that I was able to get into at the beginning of 2017.
Yarn Totals: 6,477 g (I have a scale and it makes more sense to me to record in grams, rather than yardage, unless you can point me to an easy calculator to yardage, for handspun, mostly)
Cotton (top left)- 138 g
Worsted (bottom left) – 1189 g
DK (bottom left/center)- 291 g
Sock (center, so many partials!)- 3,143 g
Lace (top right) – 164 g
Handspun (right, mostly sock/heavy sock) – 1,552 g
Storage: I’ve spent the past few months collecting yarn from various places all over the house to this one location. Everything on the bed is contained in this bookshelf . The fiber stash is all together in my closet (no photo). I’ve got a “system” and full skeins are out on the shelf, handspun fits in a bin, the sock leftovers are in a storage drawer, and worsted yarn fits in a bin. I’ve been spinning a lot this year, so my wheel is out and accessible. I have about half of my knitting books on this shelf. Knitting bags and a few old WIPs. The other storage drawer holds my chair caning supplies – maybe I’ll post about that later.
Overall, I’m pretty happy with the state of things.
I’d like to spin enough to keep up with my single dose of club this year, if not break into existing stash.
I’m planning on no yarn buying until at least the second quarter of the year. I could probably knit exclusively from stash this year, but I’m not super concerned about that. I’ve spent the last year being more mindful of my purchases and it has helped a lot with being satisfied with this stash. I really want to start knitting up my handspun in 2018 too.
Do you have any stash goals? I love seeing how people approach their stash – one tote, whole room(s), does it have yarn in it? I’m all about it.
July 6, 2013 § Leave a comment
My original goals are in normal text, finished goals have been crossed off, and my comments are in italics.
- To run at least one official 5K. (I don’t know if I can commit to 8 without having done one first.) – I still haven’t signed up for one since I moved to Chigagoland, but I’m looking into local races.
Make a quilt for a someone secret (the fabric has been purchased!) – This goal is the chevron lap quilt I made for my sister’s 21st birthday. Blog post here Knit ThroughtheLoops’ 2013 Mystery Sock– Blog post here Knit-a-long with my ZPDK: Azzu’s Shawl– I changed the pattern to Estuary, blog post here.
- Get a great photo of the two of us for this year. – We usually get a photo together at our family vacation, but with Cameron’s new schedule, he may not get to go.
- Sew a new dress. – I have fabric and patterns, but I haven’t sat down to sew anything other than my sister’s quilt.
- Begin to reduce the amount of “stuff” I own. As much I am attached to many of my things, I think much of it is weighing me down. – Since we moved, I have less “stuff” in our house, but I haven’t really gotten rid of anything that I left at my parent’s house.
- Run 100 miles in 2013. – According to my running app, I’ve logged nearly 34 miles so far this year. Considering I didn’t run for four months, only just starting in June, I’d say I’m still chugging along.
It’s nice to see progress!
July 5, 2013 § Leave a comment
I finished another one of my 8 in 2013 goals, with a small change. Instead of knitting Azzu’s Shawl, I decided that I would knit Estuary, another option for our knit-a-long.
July 2, 2013 § 1 Comment
My inspiration was this quilt , but I hadn’t referenced it once I had started piecing this one together.
I made 7″ half square triangles with a black and a white print. It ended up being about 52.5″ x 46″. I machine quilted about a quarter inch away from the seams on all the black stripes. I hand sewed the binding down. I also embroidered with back stitch (the only stitch I really know how to do) her name, the year, and her birthdate on the side.
I’m quite pleased with how it turned out and I hope it will always match my sister’s decor. She reported that she loves it, which is a success in my book.
February 3, 2013 § 3 Comments
One down, seven to go!
One of my knitting goals was to follow along with Kirsten’s 2013 Mystery Sock. I knit them mostly two at a time, until I realized the needle size I was using would result in too long of a foot to finish the pattern, so I switched to smaller DPNs after the heel and gusset, and back to the original needles for the toes.
I used Sundara Sock in Adobe that I got from Bertha. It was just right for this pattern. Thanks, B!
January 7, 2013 § Leave a comment
Stephanie has a great idea, here.
My goals for this year are:
- To run at least one official 5K. (I don’t know if I can commit to 8 without having done one first.)
- Make a quilt for a someone secret (the fabric has been purchased!)
- Knit ThroughtheLoops’ 2013 Mystery Sock (Ravelry)
- Knit-a-long with my ZPDK: Azzu’s Shawl (Ravelry)
- Get a great photo of the two of us for this year.
- Sew a new dress.
- Begin to reduce the amount of “stuff” I own. As much I am attached to many of my things, I think much of it is weighing me down.
- Run 100 miles in 2013.