August 15, 2011 § 1 Comment
Pattern: Beatnik, Knitty, Deep Fall 2010
Cast on: June 15, 2011
Finished: August 5, 2011
Needles: US 6 for ribbing at hem, cuffs, and collar. US 8 for body and sleeves.
Yarn: Cascade 220 Heathers, 5.5 skeins.
Size: Small (36)
Modifications: I worked set-in sleeves instead of working separate pieces and sewing them in.
It turned out great! I’m pleased it fits and, as a bonus, I had just bought the yarn specifically for this sweater and then I turned right around and made it quite quickly.
August 8, 2011 § 3 Comments
I’ve been following Sew Weekly for many months now, but Mena’s recent challenge caught my eye. Her Day Two, the Summer Sorbetto, was what I was instantly drawn to. It may have been the gingham or the pleats added to the neckline.
You can download the pattern here. I printed out the pattern, taped it together, and cut out a size 6 to get my desired finished measurements, but I altered the pattern a bit, mostly due to the sleeves. My second alteration was length. Mena said that she added two inches to the length of the top by cutting the pattern at the natural waist (I assumed this was where the notches were on the pattern pieces) and then I taped in a two inch strip before cutting my fabric. I only did this because I prefer my shirts longer.
I added sleeves, just as Mena did for all of her Sorbettos. There’s a PDF version of the sleeve pattern located here. This piece of the pattern doesn’t have a marked size. I was going to gather the tops of the sleeves, just like Mena, but the pattern piece was too small for my pattern and I ended up being about 3/4 inch too short around the arm hole, even without the gather. (I learned to gather though!) I didn’t want to cut more sleeve pieces, so I basted the sleeves and side seams to fit before I permanently sewed. I sewed a 1/4 seam allowance on the underarm of the sleeves and then tapered back out to the 5/8 seam allowance of the side seam. I ended up only trimming a small amount from the side seam. I’m really glad that I basted all the major seams (like they tell you to) to make sure it fit correctly.
I had to babysit soon after I finished all but the pleat for the neckline, so I took photos before I left.
Yesterday, I got up and made the pleat, sewed it on, and started my day. I went to Barnes & Noble with C’s mom and sister to look for a couple books. I got a coffee, but I guess I forgot it was in my hand when we got back in the car because I spilled half of it all. over. my shirt and skirt. No worries though, one of my grandmothers is master of stain removal. As soon as we got home, I took my clothes over to her house and she started soaking them. As soon as I get them back, I’ll get a photo of the completed shirt.
Be on the look out for a finished sweater! I’m nearly finished with Beatnik